General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flickering Light problem figured out!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flickering Light problem figured out!!

Mods......Please Sticky this if you will.

I am not sure if I am super late on this information or what, but the last time I checked here I still saw alot of people asking why their lights flicker, and alot of people giving mixed answers. I decided to call a buddy of mine here at a local dealership. He's a service advisor and has been in the business 10 years, so he's seen the Fbody come and go.

Turns up.....Every flickering light Fbody he's seen has the same problem...

The Voltage Regulator inside the Altenator goes bad and allows the voltage to fluctuate up and down. He did say that they very rarely go out....they will just **** you off and make your lights flicker.

Hope I'm not too late with this info, I just figured since it came from a creditable source I'd let you guys know what I heard.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MontereyLS1
Mods......Please Sticky this if you will.

I am not sure if I am super late on this information or what, but the last time I checked here I still saw alot of people asking why their lights flicker, and alot of people giving mixed answers. I decided to call a buddy of mine here at a local dealership. He's a service advisor and has been in the business 10 years, so he's seen the Fbody come and go.

Turns up.....Every flickering light Fbody he's seen has the same problem...

The Voltage Regulator inside the Altenator goes bad and allows the voltage to fluctuate up and down. He did say that they very rarely go out....they will just **** you off and make your lights flicker.

Hope I'm not too late with this info, I just figured since it came from a creditable source I'd let you guys know what I heard.
THANKS!

I am having this exact issue right now.. Voltage goes from 14.1 to 12.6 to 13.5 to 12.9, and so on..... It has weakened my battery to the point that some times my head lights will not open...

Old 12-09-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine were doing the same thing after I swapped my 370 iron block in a while back. Except mine was the fact that the battery cable to the starter was laying on the headers and on fire
Old 12-09-2005, 12:36 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Interesting. I had always thought it was maybe the
AIR pump kicking on....although I don't see why it
would when the engine is warmed up. Hmmmm.
From a quick glance at the Helms I don't think
the AIR pump kicks on except after startup.....
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Air pump only runs for a certian number for seconds after initial startup in order to make our cars pass emissions tests on startup. I think it's either 30 or 60 seconds that it pumps fresh air into the exhaust
Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive wondered about that, my car does it, is that something i could fix my self or take it to the dealer...i m asuming it would be under warrenty
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Teching In

On my car it was the wire going to the clip that is removed when you pull the alt. The wire was frayed a little and shaking loose. Eventually got another alternator and hooked it up w/o noticing the frayed wire... still had flicker. Put stocker back on there and saw the wire, solidered in a new piece of wire, started the car up and it was fixed.

Began to finish up the install and was randomly tightening bolts and very stupidly (because i didnt unhook the battery a second time after fireing her up to test my work) wrenched on the terminal bolt on the back of the alternator which grounded to the car and caught on fire and melted through the powersteering lines and began to smoke and burn even more. So I unhooked the battery and pushed the car out where I hosed her off. Turned out to be a mess and dealer eventually fixed it. But I did get find out the problem my car had and fixed it... I just caught the car on fire afterwards (it was a very very small fire I swear)