General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rpms drop to 500

Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rpms drop to 500

01 Trans Am, cleaned top end, new o2's, new plugs, wires looked good (stock but will change soon), clean air filter, clean maf, new fuel filter, injection cleaner etc. When I come to a stop or rolling to a stop, put car in nuetral or have clutch in and braking to stop my rpm's will drop down to 500. I noticed that once the car has completely warmed up and driven in excess of 20 mins this usually never happens. Any suggestions? Its driving me crazy!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Could be a sticky EGR valve or bad vacuum connection.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

where is the EGR valve on an 01 ls1 engine? I'm pretty familiar with these cars and do all my own work. How to check/fix/diagnose and egr valve? Any idea on replacement cost and where I can a new one? If its cheap maybe I'll just buy a new one.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mc01ta
where is the EGR valve on an 01 ls1 engine? I'm pretty familiar with these cars and do all my own work. How to check/fix/diagnose and egr valve? Any idea on replacement cost and where I can a new one? If its cheap maybe I'll just buy a new one.
Well.... its been quite a while since I did mine so hopefully my memory holds up here. I think the price was cheaper from the dealer than advance or pep boys on this one. Dealer was about $50, Advance was ~$70. Keep in mind that I have an LT-1 but I imagine yours is probably in the same place. It is in the rear of the engine behind the fuel rails and stuff. You should be able to move the valve while its running and see what happens. If you push it in, your RPM's should drop. When you let go, it should release and your RPM's should go back up. Maybe you'll be able to feel if its sticking or not.
You'll have to do some research on your vehicle. Autozone prices the EGR at $150, and Advance doesn't have it. If you do replace it, make sure you thoroughly clean the carbon from the port hole. With that said, that might be all you need. Try cleaning it up and see if that helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Great feedback! To bad your not local to me, sounds like you know how to do this one. Sounds like I better check before replacing b/c of cost. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mc01ta
Great feedback! To bad your not local to me, sounds like you know how to do this one. Sounds like I better check before replacing b/c of cost. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
No Problem! Its really not too bad to check out. I agree, definitely check it out before you replace it. It does take a gasket so if you remove it, make sure you have a replacement gasket. In my case, the EGR didn't fix my problem, but I did replace it. I had a mis under load that turned out to be a bad injector after I replaced the EGR, OPTI, plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, and air intake tube.
Your symptoms definitely point to the EGR but there are other possibilities like a vacuum leak, dirty MAF sensor, or a computer problem (and probably others that I don't have any experience with).
Good Luck!

Search this Thread