General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smells burnt

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smells burnt

here it is my car will not do a whole turn win i try to turn it on it gets stuck but i can turn it manuly from the crank all the way around.ok i chang the starter cause the bracket broke where it bolts on the car i think it broke cause of what i explained at the beginin.ok starter is fine battery is fine had them check i tryed it again n it stays stuck n this time smoke came out of the driver side might be where the alteranter is at tried it a third time n it smell like burnt on the same side. could it be the alternater or is my motor f****d motor has like 8000 miles on it.

Thank you anyfeed back greatly appreciated
Old 12-17-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

I'd like to try to help you but I can't figure out what's wrong.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

I can't figure out what he is saying?

Starter bracket broke? You mean the ear tabs on the block? Where you'd have to get it welded back up?

Is there any oil on the ground? Did you throw a rod through the block or oil pan?

Does the starter spin freely? Making that weeeeeeeeeeeeee sound? If not what sounds are you hearing, and what does the smoke look and smell like, and where exactly does it come from? If by yourself have a friend look as you start it.

Give us more details, alot more.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

uhmmm lemme try this, like the starter motor did you take it to autozone and stuff like that to see if they tested it? if you did and it passed and then you went to try it on the car the starter may be bad, you see when they test it the starter is freespinning and has no weight to turn over when it being tested, but when you put it up on the motor, it has to turn it over, maybe the soliniod may be shorting out or your battery cable that goes to it may be over heating, it has to be something real simple.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

sycotic that could be its the original starter what bout the smoke that came from the driver side where the alternater is at it smelle like a burnt wire havent ad time to check hope i can get it to go by this next weekend
Old 12-18-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

think that you got it in the right direction, let us know how it ends