General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal not blinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal not blinking

the left turn signal on my t/a isn't blinking. the bulb is good. i hit the left signal and it blinks and stays solid, but after i make the turn it flashes/ blinks once.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I assume the right side is working fine? If not, it's the flasher under the dash. If it's only the left side, have somebody work the blinker on and off while you check the front and rear turn signals. If one lights up and the other doesn't, the one that doesn't light up is where the problem is. Try a new bulb. The old one may not be making a good connection. If a new bulb doesn't fix it, you have a bad socket. You will have to cut the old one off and solder in a new one. My bet is your problem is most likely a bad front socket. It's somewhat common on 4th gens.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Same type of problem just occured on my Z. Left front turn signal. First fix was replacing the bulb, a few miles down the road I got a solid green signal light followed by blinking and then another solid light, back and forth it went. Checked the bulb and it was fine. Turns out that the bulb wasn't fully seated in the socket, so one minute it would work fine and the next minute, after a pothole, it wouldn't. I made sure it was fully seated and sure enough, works like a champ after beating on her for a few miles, loose connection between bulb and socket, thank God!
Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the bulb only goes in one way even though it appears that it can be put in the other way. If you install it backwards (spun 180*) it will have a bad connection.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More than likely its your left daytime running light!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Wow, exact same problem started with me today. Both blinkers stay on solid though, not just one, so i know it's not the bulb or a loose connection. What is the fix for this? On a side note, my reverse lights started working today for the first time in 2 years. Way to go pontiac.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frontman
Wow, exact same problem started with me today. Both blinkers stay on solid though, not just one, so i know it's not the bulb or a loose connection. What is the fix for this? On a side note, my reverse lights started working today for the first time in 2 years. Way to go pontiac.
If both sides are affected, the blinker relay is most likely the culprit.