General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel stud ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud ?

I broke a front wheel stud and got the old one out, however I need to put the new one back in.. do i just hammer it until it goes in, or grab a lug nut and tighten it to suck the new wheel stud on? And if I use the lug nut idea, how to do I go about keeping the front tire from moving? thanks in advance..
Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Start the new one in from the back, lining the splines up in the groves as best you can. If the nut will go on more than the full length of the nut put some washers on the stud until the nut screws on until the stud just starts to come through the nut. Put the nut on backward so the flat side it toward the washers. Have someone put the brakes on and tighten the nut. After it tightens about the length of the nut take it off and put more washers on and tighten it some more. You need the washers so the nut does not try to go past the threads to the un threaded part of the stud. Tighten it up to the same torque you torque the nuts to and you are ready to go. Look at the back just to make sure the stud is fully seated against the back of the hub like the others are.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 AM
Teching In

thanks a lot!