General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DRL Socket Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Socket Turn Signal

Good afternoon all. After reading a searching, I have found one answer, but I don't like it!
One of my DRL's on my 1999 WS.6 has failed. It will glow for a parking light with the headlights on, but will not signal or flash. That said, I looked at the harness and it is less than clean and needs to be replaced. Kept going into the local parts stores here, but everyone kept trying to give me a wrong part. After reading and reading, I found the GM part number 12159662 for a list price of $52. This is (I am guessing) for a flat connector bulb (5157?). The one's at the local parts store looked to be correct, but took the round base bulb.

Here is the question:Any problems using this harness for the DRL/turn? Brightness and what not? If not, they are 6 bucks and would rather get them for this weekend! Please advise!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Silly question, but.... have you tried just putting in a new bulb?
Swap the left side bulb with the right side bulb. That will at least tell you for sure if it is the bulb, or the socket.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Actually it isn't a silly question. Thought it was the bulb at first, but traded it out. Always had a problem with the pass. side, but could wiggle it and get it working. This time, I believe the rust has gotten the best of it.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

You can get it from gmpartsdirect.com for about $36. inc. shippping or maybe try ebay.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pewterpowre
You can get it from gmpartsdirect.com for about $36. inc. shippping or maybe try ebay.
Trying to avoid that route by finding an alternative harness and bulb. Can't justify 36 for a bulb harness, that is crazy. Hope the 3157 bulb and the 5157 bulb have the same wattage light output and the harness Autozone sells for GM will fit!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with mine it got wet somehow ended up melting down .Ur right the gm prices are stupid. I ended up cutting the old one out taking it to the local napa and found one exactly the same but it was actually made for a chrysler product but even the clips where it twists in were the same . got it for about 23 bucks cdn .Havent had a problem since
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have replaced the sockets on both sides of my car. Got both from AutoZone for $6 - $7. Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with the drivers side. The bulbs keep exploding. I think it's a water / moisture / rain related problem.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

just ran into this problem, the inside of my front driver side turn signal is all wet, and the bulb blew and melted the inside of the bulb harness thingy(the plastic piece that holds the bulb) and the metal pieces inside were all corroded, went to autozone today and they didnt have what i was looking for...but the light comes on for everything except the turn signal and DRL...but $50 for this piece from the dealer? id rather just take em off completely

Quick Reply: DRL Socket Turn Signal