General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn randomly honking???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn randomly honking???

Does anyone know why my horn ('98 Z28) would be going off randomly (usually while accelerating or turning)? I pulled the fuse for the time being, but I would like to fix this so my horn (more importantly my alarm) still works. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry man... I just can't stop picturing that in my head. LMAO
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

that is a pretty comical problem. Im sure there is a short somewhere, just get a wiring diagram and double check all the connections.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This reminds me of a video I saw where these guys wired the horn on their friend's car to the brake lights.

All joking aside, it sounds like you have a loose or frayed wire if it only happens when the vehicle's weight shifts. Start by checking the wire that connects to the horn.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by komik
All joking aside, it sounds like you have a loose or frayed wire if it only happens when the vehicle's weight shifts. Start by checking the wire that connects to the horn.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Those damn horn wires aren't exactly the easiest things to reach--any tricks besides taking out the headlight?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RynoDyno312
Does anyone know why my horn ('98 Z28) would be going off randomly (usually while accelerating or turning)? I pulled the fuse for the time being, but I would like to fix this so my horn (more importantly my alarm) still works. Thanks.
I can picture you driving through a seedy area of town and having your horn uncontrollably blast.

I did have this happen to me once in my first car, a grand marquis. A horn wire metal connector had came loose and rattled around the inside of the steering wheel. Occasionally it touched the other connector completing the circuit. Hilarity ensues.