General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Proper way to jump start a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to jump start a battery?

What is the proper way to jump to start a battery?

I always thought it was pos -> pos and neg -> neg, But when I had to buy cables last night, it said I had to connect a cable to a part of my engine block?

I used the old fashion way and it started up fine though?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

the old fashion way works good, but I was also told to conect the neg of one of the car ( I forget witch one ) to a good ground.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the safest way is to connect the ones on the dead battery pos-pos and neg-frame... There is some safety reason for this, but im not sure exactly why. I always hook mine up to the frame, not so much the block, but that would work too, since its all grounded.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason is that the last connection will complete the circuit and make a spark. You don't want a spark to happen close to the battery because it has vents that let explosive/flammable gas bleed out. The negative battery terminal is connected to the frame and engine of the car, so from an electricity standpoint conecting the negative jumper cable to the negative battery terminal or engine is the same thing. So make the last negative connection on the engine a bit away from the battery to avoid causing an explosion/fire at the battery.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by massls1guy
The reason is that the last connection will complete the circuit and make a spark....
That's right. It's rare, but I've seen 2 batteries blow in my life. Thank God it didn't happen to me.

Originally Posted by massls1guy
...the last negative connection on the engine....
Correct, and the last negative connection should be to the engine block or bracket of the car you are trying to start. It's a small point, but that eliminates 2 battery cables and connections from the loop.

Quick Reply: Proper way to jump start a battery?