General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Won't Start - Weird Issues - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start - Weird Issues - HELP PLEASE

Right when I thought my luck couldn't get any worse, my car decided it didn't want to start anymore.

I just got back from a short cruise in it, and sat inside for ahwhile when I decided I wanted to go somewhere. So I went out to start my car and let it warm up...

When I turn the key it makes a loud clicking noise like the battery is dead or something, the gauges go crazy, speedo goes to 20mph, rpm's shoot around, doors lock, right speaker makes a loud popping... but the car won't turn over.

I tried jump-starting it just to see if it was an alternator issue, and the car still wouldn't start. The lights work, the stereo works, everything electrical works... but the car will not start.

I highly doubt it's an issue with the starter considering I replaced it 2,000 miles ago, and I know I hooked everything up correctly.

The car had been having issues with turning over, it always started... but sometimes it would hesitate for 4-5 seconds trying to turn over, then start up and run fine. When I turn the key only the SES light comes on, but that doesn't really say much because the car won't start... so I can't see if it turns off.

If anyone has any ideas as to what this would Be, I would really appreciate the help. I'm tired of my car being down, and I could really use some transportation right now. I would like to get it running as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the battery is toast to me - you can have voltage but not enough AMPs to turn it over. I'd bring it to someone like AZ and have it load tested free.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if the battery was low, wouldn't it start with a jump? I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it in and get it tested.

The only other thing I can think of would be the starter, which was just replaced but has taken some abuse... considering we replaced it and then the opti went out, so there was a lot of trying to start it. Then when I got the Opti in, the car would hesitate to start which puts more abuse on the starter. But that doesn't really explain the electrical issues.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Wire Corrosion !!!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Change the battery. Trust me, the same thing happened to 2 of my friends cars. Turn the key, weird click, gauges flip out and so do the lights in the dash, everything goes pretty much haywire like your car is possesed. Its cause by low voltage. Jumping it wont help. New battery. And then once you get the new batery make sure no wires going to the starter or the fuel pump are messed up.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys, it ended up being a new battery. The battery was only a year old, and had a 36 month replacement for free, so I took it back to Sam's Club... and got a new battery, threw it in along with some new terminal bolts. And now she starts right up everytime... just like new.

I feel kinda stupid for thinking it was a bigger issue, but I guess I'm used to dealing with the worst possible scenerio, and always assume the worst.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start - Weird Issues - HELP PLEASE