General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine reving high and car not moving as fast as normal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine reving high and car not moving as fast as normal

I haven't had a chance to drive it, I'm at work now and my wife drives the car. The engine is stock with about 123k on it. Tranny is stock 4l60e with a 3400/1.8 TC. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I will post again once I get a chance to drive it.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your low on ATF or the clutches may be burning/burnt up. Have you checked the fluid? See if its at the right level, if not top it up and see where your at, also check the color and smell, it should be a nice red and smell sweet, if its darker and smells burnt it maybe time for a rebuild, especially if you have 123k on the tranny, mine went out at 100k.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Launching!

ill bet 100 bux u need a new timing chain. ur up there in miles so its not surprising whatsoever. its prolly stretched to its limit and nows a good time to upgrade to a better then stock chain
Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Syxx613
ill bet 100 bux u need a new timing chain. ur up there in miles so its not surprising whatsoever. its prolly stretched to its limit and nows a good time to upgrade to a better then stock chain

Obviously check the fluid first, when did the converter go in? Is there an adequate tranny cooler? If there's no cooler and the 'verter has been in for some miles the trans is prob getting ready to die from the excess heat of the converter. What are your trans temps like?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the limited info on my first post. I was just going by what my wife had explained to me on the phone. I now have driven the car and checked the fluid. The car does not shift, it stays in first and top speed is 20-25 mph, then the engine will just rev up and no power is transferred to the wheels it just coasts. Now it won't even go into reverse. Luckily this happened after I got it home in the garage. The fluid level is fine but it does look more grayish then red and smells, but not really a burnt smell. When I put the car in D there is a rough, grinding sound coming from underneath the car. In R it does nothing, even when I press on the throttle. I haven't been able to pin point where the grinding sound is coming from yet. To answer some ?'s. The TC has been in for about a year, but has not been driven hard for more than a few times. I do have a tranny cooler, also. The engine is running fine.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like it's tranny rebuild time. Your 123k mile 4l60e finally went . Kinda have to expect that with those miles.

Quick Reply: Engine reving high and car not moving as fast as normal