General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WEIRD morning start up....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WEIRD morning start up....

this morning i went to start up my car...like i do EVERY morning (my D.D.) and the weirdest thing happend...i put the key in put, in the clutch, turned it over and it would start up then automatically die...?!? i tried doing this about 2 more times and the same thing happend..it would turn over start for a half a second then shut down!? i waited a few minutes popped the hood and everything looked normal? everything connected, nothing leaking under the car etc... i waited a few more minutes tried again and *tada* it magically started?! i let it warm up for abuot 2 minutes shut it down, then started it and everything was fine..let her warm up to operating temp took it for a spin and everything was normal..can anyone explain or maybe give some opinions why this could have happend? it has 22,000 miles on it, and i got my exhaust put on maybe over 700 miles ago? thanks for your help guys

P.S. this is a good reason to skip 1st period
Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how cold is it up there in seattle?? b/c it might be your battery is going out or it was just a really cold start up and couldnt hold a charge.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Dude....I've had the same problem about 3 times since I've had my car for a year. It's an A4, but I crank it, and it's like it starts up for half a split second then kills off. I let it sit for a minute, and she starts up like nothing happened?????
Old 03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like it could be the security system kicking in...your key might be dirty and the chip in it isn't making good contact...or the chip might not be making good contact if it or the internals of the lock are worn. Next time it has a problem starting, check and see what the security light on your dash is doing...
Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had that happen to my car too. I it ended up getting really bad to where it would just try to start and then not start. We thoght it was the fuel pump then took it to the dealer so they could find out for sure and it ended up it was the INGNITION RELAY fuse. Has been great since then. Something you might want to check out.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have also had the same exact problem. It starts for a second then shuts right down, starts up then shuts right down. It would take about 5 tries then it would start up and it would be fine. Its done it 4 times in about 9 months. Last time it did it, I tried the other key as kenafin 02ta mentioned and it did start. I'm still not sure the key was the problem. After it happened I did bring it to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the problem, they did change the gas filter.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

my key looks good...i didnt look at the light on the dash, or atleast didnt notice anything..thanks for all the responses. and my car is in the garage so its not half as cold as it is outside...but to make my day EVEN worse...during lunch i went with a friend to see if it would start up-which it did, i noticed someone keyed the **** outa my back bumper...wow if only i can describe how mad i am, and if it was a kid in my school if i ever caught them they wouldnt be walking any time soon..how ***** to **** with another mans car..
Old 03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
my key looks good...i didnt look at the light on the dash, or atleast didnt notice anything..thanks for all the responses. and my car is in the garage so its not half as cold as it is outside...but to make my day EVEN worse...during lunch i went with a friend to see if it would start up-which it did, i noticed someone keyed the **** outa my back bumper...wow if only i can describe how mad i am, and if it was a kid in my school if i ever caught them they wouldnt be walking any time soon..how ***** to **** with another mans car..
Vandalism pisses me off more than anything. I remember in high school coming back from lunch with friends and seeing my grand prix with a slashed tire. Most rage i've ever had.

Thanks for the responses im giong to give mine a look to.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Resident

Fuel pump relay, thats what mine was (same problem)

If it ever happens again just swap the fuel pump relay with the AC relay (theyre right next to each other in the underhood fuse box) It should start up no probem.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm might have to give that a try..thanks for the info whiteknight
Old 03-07-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm gonna try that as well, Thanks Whitenight Z28.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm sounds reasonable. mine will do the same thing, but only if it hasn't been started in over a few days (no longer DD) but when it has been less than 12 hrs or so since last run, there is no issue. I haven't worried about it too much cause when it happens it is only once, and then it starts up fine. Once or twice when i could tell it was about to happen, i was able to blip the throttle a few time and get it to stay alive...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
this morning i went to start up my car...like i do EVERY morning (my D.D.) and the weirdest thing happend...i put the key in put, in the clutch, turned it over and it would start up then automatically die...?!? i tried doing this about 2 more times and the same thing happend..it would turn over start for a half a second then shut down!? i waited a few minutes popped the hood and everything looked normal? everything connected, nothing leaking under the car etc... i waited a few more minutes tried again and *tada* it magically started?! i let it warm up for abuot 2 minutes shut it down, then started it and everything was fine..let her warm up to operating temp took it for a spin and everything was normal..can anyone explain or maybe give some opinions why this could have happend? it has 22,000 miles on it, and i got my exhaust put on maybe over 700 miles ago? thanks for your help guys

P.S. this is a good reason to skip 1st period
question for ya.....

Once it started, did you rev it at all? And if so, did the revs fall down to the point of almost stalling out? Ive got a similiar issue with mine...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

nope. all of a sudden it started up fine like it was just joking around with me or something .