General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

swapping the PCV valve for updated one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic tech question about swapping the PCV valve for updated one

I was reading some threads on reducing oil consumption, and one of the most common suggestions was upgrading the PCV valve to the one for the newer LSx engines. GM part #12572717. I picked this up yesterday, as the car recently hit 30k so I wanted to get a new one anyways. Is the design of this new one a lot different? I know it's an updated version...but it just seems too different. It's much lighter, and there's really no "valve" inside at all. There's really nothing inside it at all, in fact you can look right through it. Like if you shake the original you can feel it rattling inside and this one doesn't at all. Is the part the wrong one or defective or does this sound right?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you have the correct one. The update was to get rid of the valve altogether and just put a little pin hole in it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing alot of research today on oil consumption issues with the LS1 and it seems like no matter what people try the real answer is finding the right weight of oil
Old 03-10-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that's probably a good part of it. Mine isn't out of control, but it is definitly noticeable and like I said, I was doing some maintainance and figured it was a good time to replace it anyway since it had 30k on it and I was changing the oil anyway which made it easier to compare any improvement. Although I've wondered if the German Castrol is helping or hurting the situation.

Thanks for the reassurance 777! People said the new design was "fixed orifice" but I was unsure if that's what they meant because it seemed like a little too much orifice compared to the factory one.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that on higher hp engine it's not a good idea. Since the hole is soo small it builds up too much pressure in the crank case and will blow out the seals. Could just be speculation though.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car is otherwise factory. Actually have a lid and GMMG sitting in a box going on next week but after that the next few mods will be suspension related so that's about as modifed as I planned to go for a while. Should be ok.

Quick Reply: swapping the PCV valve for updated one?