General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 Trans Am Oil Usage problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Trans Am Oil Usage problem...

Hey guys,
I joined for the explicit reason to ask this question (someone on another site sent me here)...

I own a 2001 Trans Am and it is using oil way too fast, infact 2qts in 1-3 weeks (about 200-300 miles). And I took it to the shop (both a professional one who deals with specifically Trans Ams and Cameros and the dealer ship) and they said that they have no idea whats wrong. And the oil is NOT leaking under the car, so it appears to be burning it off, and its not appearing in the exaust.

The oil Im using is the one recommended, and it is a completely stock car (manual WS6) except for an exhaust system upgrade (shiny pipes =D) and a new shaped hood. So I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem or has any remote idea what it is. Someone said it might be the rubber rings on the valve stem seals that they are letting a little bit of oil drip into the engine and its burning off too quickly to notice, so the rings need to be changed. But Im suspicious if thats the answer because of the amount of oil dripping.

So any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was burning a little less than you where explaining and found it was coming from my 5th cylinder. So I started using lucas oil stabalizer to give it a try instead of paying an arm and a leg for new rings and worked. I burn practically no oil now. It worked for me though. I use 5 qts Mobil1 5w-30 and 1 qt of lucas. Oil is a little thick until the car warms up. Hope it helps

Quick Reply: 2001 Trans Am Oil Usage problem...