General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rattle??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rattle??

I just got a new cat put on my car. At idle i hear a rattling sound from under, and in 4th gear or (any lower gear) it rattles alot. oh, especially when im pulling in 4th on the highway. did they not weld in on right or something? im assuming thats what it is? anyone....?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Right before my warranty ended last spring on my 02 Z28 Both of my Cat's went and after the dealer replaced them, I started noticing rattle's at certain RPM's while driving. Drove me nut's for a few weeks because i kept looking under the car and checking everything and not a single thing loose, So i finally just had enough of it and jacked the car up and inspected the whole underside of the car,
It turned out to be the Passenger side Rear O2 sensor was so loose you could turn it by hand, the dealers mechanic's forgot to tigthen it up after replacing the cat's and it was so well hidden that it wasnt visible if you just layed down on the ground and looked under the car
Well it turned out that it was so loose that where it's wire harness comes down from the front of the car it is attached to a small clip that is mounted to the large heat sheild on the passenger side, I guess during certain accelerations and rpm's the O2 sensor would shake and vibrate causing the whole passenger side heat sheild to vibrate and make noise.
Once i tigthened that up i never heard it again
So maybe try laying downing and reaching under your car where the y-pipe is and see if you can reach the o2 sensor and see if it is tight
Old 04-01-2006, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

ima go try that now...i hope thats what it is. thanks