General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why did I visit the rev limiter....?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have mine right a the Hot mark after I drive it for about 10 minutes.

You'll notice the difference in the Type F. I'll try to tell the short version of when I put it in. My wife and I were headed to LA from Vegas and were going up the Baker grade on I-15. I was running around 90 mph. All of a sudden smoke started coming up thru the E-brake handle and it smelled sweet. I pulled over and thought maybe an electrical fire because I had just put in some stereo equipment, but that didnt explain the smell. The car was running fine and all the gauges were good.

So since it came from the E-brake area I checked the tranny fluid. It was burnt pretty bad. I called my Dad and asked him if there was any thing I could temporarly do. He said take it to a shop and have them swap it out to Type F. At first I thought he was crazy. This was in 01. Even though my tranny slipped, and I would have to manual shift it sometimes. I even went to the track a couple of times I just got my tranny rebuilt a little over a month ago 06.

I came on this site and found out that alot of people run it. I wished I would of took pics of my bands. They were burnt up pretty good. Basically Type F has a grittier blend if you will. So it helps prevent the slipping.

Sorry for the ramble! I just wanted to put out there why I started using it.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it was the 1-2 and if you were spinning through the gears your probably ok, do you remember if it just hit the limiter or actually spun through it (thats happend alot of times to me) like looking down and seeing it at6200 or something.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3-4 clutch is probably the weakest point in the 4L60E. when it goes you will lose 3rd and 4th, but it will go ahead and shift and then slip. when the tranny went in my 95 Impala SS, it never even tried to do the 2-3 shift, it would just go all the way to redline in 2, and then freewheel. come to find out, the orifice plug in the 3rd gear piston had fallen out of its hole because it wasn't peened enough at assembly. >:O

i assume it only did it once, though? since it doesn't sound like it even tried to shift, and if it hasn't done it again, you may be in luck for now. could be some trash floating around that got stuck in an orifice, or a sticking solenoid (but the solenoid should throw a code IIRC). you might consider flushing the fluid, although some will disagree.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Im just willing to bet the tires were spinning faster than that computer could shift due to no traction, although you have 90k on that tranny so I'd watch it man.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
...with cheese.

TV and Governor pressures will set a computer into a limp mode. That would have thrown a code though. If the fluid is brown then your on borrowed time. You could have somebody flush it for you if you wanted but a lot of times the actually debris in the fluid is what acts as a friction component. Metal shavings actually help the clutches hold... I've seen too many old cars come in trying to get them services and leave in worse shape. It's a toss up.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been able to reproduce the problem , but only with noticable tire spin at the beginning of first and probably into second. With 90k on the clock I am on borrowed time on just about anything. I don't think I'm going to change the fluid because I have heard more bad than good.

I will probably try to get the levels right though. I'm still not really sure what to think about whether its going to last or not. Only time will tell.

Assuming it did take a dump on me what am I looking at for a rebuild ? Is it even worth rebuilding ? and if its not whats my next best option ? I do plan on putting more power in it in the future (Heads / Cam) so maybe a built tranny when this one dies?

Opinions ? Transmissions is an entire world that I am pretty unfamiliar with

Edit: on a side note it has been much warmer here the past few days (warmer streets = better traction) I haven't had traction problems dropping to first today and haven't hit the rev limiter either (I tested it ALOT! )

Hopefully that is a good sign for me
Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 PM
...with cheese.

eh.. if it gets real bad just pour a bottle of brake fluid in it... and wait for it to go.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

yea, if your that high of miles. Borrowed time, start planning, and spend the money and get it done right the first time. I've had mine rebuilt 3times. Not fun. However, last 2 were under warrenty from the 1st. If it goes out again I'm just going to go with a Rock on or Rossler.

Ski
Old 04-13-2006, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

You should have the fluid and filter changed every 15k, you wouldnt not change your oil because someone said they had a bad experience would you? I'd say your transmission is ok and you may not be on burrowed time yet, but if you cut on maintenance you'll kill it.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I will change it and use that Type F stuff. So even if it is the shavings thats keeping it together the Type F will sort of act the same way? Like I said I don't know anything about transmissions