General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle - could it be IN my Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattle - could it be IN my Y pipe?

Driving me crazy. See sig for mods. I knew my headers would probably lead to some rattling eventually and have been able to fix them all until now. I have a very obnoxious rattle at about 1700 RPM and also at about 3500+ on decel. VERY loud. I thought it was my O2's because it sounded like it was coming from my header or right after it. I replaced them and still have it - it still sounds like it is coming from my Y pipe.

I swear I have tried to tweak every damn heat sheild under the car and nothing seems to help. Could it be something INSIDE the offroad Y pipe? Any other suggestions appreciated!
Old 04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the area that the spare tire sits in got a harmonic vibration from the exhaust pulse. Nothing a few whacks with a BFH can't fix. Good luck finding the source.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a nasty rattle as well.....only when I'm getting started from a stop in first, or when I'm banging on the Y-Pipe. Almost sounds like something is in the pipe....I think its actually the bolts that clamp the Y-Pipe to the converter. Had the same kind of noise about 40,000 miles ago and changing the bolts fixed it.....I'm gonna replace them again in the near future....I'll let you know if it works.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the ideas.

After posting this I went on another expedition. I loosened up my Y pipe with the idea of pulling it loose to inspect it. As it turned out I didn't have enough time to go all the way and pull it completely loose. So instead I started it up with the clamps loosened up to see if the "note" of the rattle would be different - it wasn't.

Since I ran out of time I gave up and retightened the Y clamps. I went ahead and oiled the clamps with just a few drops on the bolts to keep them from siezing. I also tried messing with the heat shields running along the fuel lines on the driver side. I squeezed some old rubber between the shield and the car to make sure there was no play in it so it couldn't rattle if it wanted to.

Apparently it must have been one of those things. Now the rattle stopped but instead it is now squeeking! I think it must be the rubber squeeking but not sure. It is a much better sounding than the rattle but still annoying....guess I'm homing in on it but didn't get if completely handled yet. I'll try to update when I figure it out completely.