General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

drivetrain vibration

Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drivetrain vibration

i'm gettin a vibration through the drivetrain and i'm trying to figure out if it's normal. all the bushings on the car are poly, including the motor mounts. is a signifacant amount of vibration normal with this setup or should i start checking coils and injectors? it's the worst around 2500 rpm. after that, it seems to smooth out. i don't know if that's some kind of resonance point or what. any help is appreciated. it also seems to idle a little rough too.

thanks,
bill
Old 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's probably the poly mounts. You may also need to do plugs and wires and the mounts are causing you to feel it more. I've noticed that the low to mid 2000rpm range is where these motors resonate the most. Most of it is probably normal, so do plugs and wires and go from there.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

one step ahead of ya. i already did that, and while it helped, the vibration is still there. the steering wheel vibrates alot, causeing the turn signal lever to rattle. and to rule out the wheels being out of balance, it all goes away when i push in the clutch. car still runs strong so i'm gonna assume it's all normal. if anyone else has some input, i'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd have to say it's clutch related then and you are not getting full engagement. It could be hydraulics failing or the pressure plate itself. It happened to me on my stock clutch although the vibration was the pressure plate. That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully you figure it out and it's something simple.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldn't think that if that was the case, i'd still be running 8.6@84 in the 1/8. like i said, it seems to run strong.

Search this Thread