General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problem

my power steering fluid is thicker and smoking hot out of the resivoir..seems to be spilling out a little as well...mech. said that i might have a hole in the main tube where coolant is leaking into the p.s. fluid..if there was a hole, wouldnt the p.s. fluid be more likely to mix into the coolant instead? either way ne advice on how to fix it? thanx
Old 05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not think the car has any way to get powerstreering fluild into the in the raditor fluid or vise versa. Most likely the thing is over filled. Do you still have power streering? If not the pump could be shot
Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Teching In

ya ive already had it flushed twice and it still gets thick and discolored, pretty sure theres a line that runs the p.s. fluid in and back out of the large coolant line in front of the engine
Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike_ws6
ya ive already had it flushed twice and it still gets thick and discolored, pretty sure theres a line that runs the p.s. fluid in and back out of the large coolant line in front of the engine
The lines run to/from the steering rack.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something is causing excess pressure, overheating the fluid. Could be the high pressure line collapsed internally or the pressure bypass failed.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Im assuming that if your p/s return line goes into the radiator that you may have a p/s cooler... LS1s have a problem with their power steering... since the resivoir is attached to the pump, LS1 pumps have a tendancy to overheat causing the fluid to boil and burn and blow the seals in the pump... the LT1 was designed with a detached resivoir which allows for more time to cool when the fluid from the return line returns to the resivoir... if you come to find that all of your p/s lines are fine, then i would recommend installing a p/s cooler... i just installed one on my LT1 because i have gone through 2 pumps so far and just put in my third... drag racing, street racing, road coarse racing, or any high rpm driving can and will cause your pump to blow
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

this is the line that the p.s. fluid runs in and out of..im thinkin theres a leak inside...other people have posted with this problem but usually there issue is having p.s. fluid mixed w/ the coolant..mines the other way around..if anyone is fermiliar with this set up please help..thanx
Attached Thumbnails power steering problem-resize-img_3345.jpg