See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

airfilter change on 03 trailblazer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airfilter change on 03 trailblazer?

My grandmother has an 03 trailblazer and she informed me yesterday that she has not changed her air filter since she bought the truck. She assumed that walmart changed everything out when she took it in to have an oil change which they do not. I looked at the manual and it pointed to a big black box *which looks like everything under the hood* and said it was where the air filter was but I looked at the box and tried to take the top off but it wouldn't budge and yes I took out the screws. I am wondering how dangerous this would be to the engine if someone did not change their air filter for.. years I assume. I told her to take it to someone but she insists that walmart will do it.
I would like to do this myself but seeing as I'm not very savy with fixing things I'm not sure what to do.

*btw I know this doesn't have anything to do with an ls1 but I don't trust people in another forum*
Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.trailvoy.com/

check out this website for them.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lid wouldn't budge, don't take this the wrong way, but you probably missed one of the screws. I have a Trailblazer as well and both times I've changed the air filter - I've had the same problem and forgotten this odd screw both times, there is one tucked pretty far down out of easy sight.

Trailblazers have very conservative air boxes. I changed my air filter at 20 and 40k miles and both times it really didn't need changed at all. So it is probably ok in there.

A dirty air filter won't hurt anything. Eventually it might get clogged enough to kill off some power but I don't think it's possible for it to cause damage, unless you got some oil or some physical damage in there. Just dirt won't be an issue.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you got all 4 screws. One at every corner. Sometimes it will hang up on the front plastic that runs across the headlights. I always just yank my wifes up without any issues even when it hangs up.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Launching!

I had to remove a bar to get that dang thing out of there and man.. you won't believe how horrible the filter was! It had dead leaves CAKED all over it and I had no idea that a car/truck could run with so much stuff on the filter. GROSS! So we have to get a new filter tomorrow obviously and then I will try to tackle putting everything back together. Check out the picture of the filter..
Oh and btw that website that was posted for the trailblazer/envoy site is a peice of garbage. I asked them about it and only one person posted and was VERY rude and made fun of me "it's a I6 not a V6!!" and they were really stuck up... then my post was deleted and my account was deleted. PLEASE never refer anyone to that site lol.
Attached Thumbnails airfilter change on 03 trailblazer?-joo-025.jpg  

Last edited by rayvendawn; 06-15-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

They are ********. I deal with ******** everyday of my life and I still can't get used to them. I can't believe that they wouldn't help over something so easy!

That is probably the most dirty airfilter I have ever seen in my life! Do you guys live out on a dirt road? Just wondering.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Launching!

nope but there is a little bit of construction around here, I found a lot of hair, bugs and feathers in it and I asked her what she had been hitting haha.
Wouldn't having a filter this dirty cause the gas mileage to be bad? Makes me wonder what the overall condition of this trailblazer is if nothing has ever been checked. It's got around 100,000 miles on it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats odd about Trailvoy. Usually they're pretty helpful. I only have like 3 posts over there, but I use the search alot.

Anyway, glad you got it out!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, that is a lot of miles. The only thing is people do claim that changing the filter means better MPG. The whole arguement doesn't make sense though. Less air into the engine always translates into less fuel into the engine.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to work at a quicklube and that filters got nothing. I'll never forget it, one time this lady came in (smokin' hot btw) with an older Accord. I tore into the airbox and there was a random collection of junk. Leaves, pinecones, and get this - dog biscuits. I mean seriously, like 3-4 little dog biscuits. Figure it was a steriod mouse or something.

I'll never forget the look on the ladies face when I showed her all that stuff was in her airbox. There's really no way she believed it, but it was there.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Launching!

haha.. that is really sad.
Reminds me of the time that my aunt had a mouse crawl up in her air conditioner and die, she just didn't drive the car for two months until the body/smell rotted away but the bones stayed in the ac. The bones are still in the ac to this day and when you turn it on the bones rattle around. Kind of gross although unrelated to filters.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

From time to time people on LS1Tech post pictures of mice living in their cars. That is great.

Quick Reply: airfilter change on 03 trailblazer?