General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DO i need to flush coolant @ 40k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DO i need to flush coolant @ 40k miles?

02 T/A Original Coolant: Cooling system works fine, do I need to flush it? 40k miles btw. If so, can I just use the cheapo walmart brands?

I am gettin ready to change all my fluids after my next gas fillup. Check over my list.

I am gonna do:
6 qt mobil 1 5w30 (or whatever the recommended viscosity is)
4 qts penzoil Dexron iii mercon atf fluid
2 qts 75w90 coastal diff fluid & rear additive (do i need this for torsen?)
1 qt any brand power steering fluid (just gonna suck out some and refill a few times, not flushing)
Already did my brakes.
Might do my clutch if i can figure out how to bleed the dang thing.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Teching In

If you got the time and money to spend, do it. I just started working at the shop, my car has 67k miles on it now, i replaced all the fluids around 50k miles. It cant hurt the car.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, go ahead and do a coolant flush if you haven't already. Dex-cool in our aluminum powertrains doesn't give any visual clues it's bad until it starts to sludge up. So if you have never done it, go ahead and do it. Being that it's cheap and fairly easy to do I would do it at least every 2-3 years. You are definitely past due just from a time standpoint.

German Castrol 0-30 is the generally recommended oil around here, and you can find it in our Michigan autozones. Mobil 5-30 isn't wrong, but the Castrol is preferred.

I use Mobil synthetic rear diff oil. The way I see it the 10 bolt needs all the help it can get. I still use GM diff additive but I think you can get away w/o it using synthetic oil.

Use Dextron VI trans fluid. It is newer and equivalent or exceeds Dexron III in all ways.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WELL the dex-cool is good for 5 years so its nothing major if u dont but while ur doing everthing else i would just do it. And i would replace the coolant with some type of dex-cool or gm approved extended life coolant and not just the cheap stuff unless u get all the old dex-cool out of the whole system ie: heater system and engine block itself.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL his car is an 02, which means it was made mid to late 01-02. On top of that blindly relying upon Dex cool to last 5 years isn't a very good idea.

You are right though about using Dex cool again. Coolants should not be mixed and you should add only distilled water.

Peace.

Quick Reply: DO i need to flush coolant @ 40k miles?