General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plug change complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug change complete!

I just completed my first plug change on an LS1. I have done an LT1 twice so I sorta knew what I was getting into. I started on the pass. side, plug #8 because I knew it was going to be the hardest. Unbolted coil bracket and AIR pipe and I had that plug out in about 5 minutes after that. PIECE OF CAKE! Granted I have fairly skinny arms but #8 was very easy. Everything went smoothly from there All in all, it took me about a total of 1 and a half hours, taking my time. Not bad for a first time eh?

One question, who the hell puts one freaking Bosch platinum and leaves all of the rest alone? The Bosch didnt even seem to have an electrode anymore! It looked much worse than all of the rest of the AC Delcos which looked normal.

Oh, I used NGK TR-55s with suprisingly a fixed tip (not the unscrewable type)

I am still having this high RPM detonation issue though. I am not even sure it is detonation but I need to get that fixed. I didnt want to get a colder plug because of the fouling issue. I read they foul much easier. Now I kinda wish I would have used TR6s.

Thanks to everyone on this site and the search function for saving me around $500 installing my own plugs.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Congrats on your first LS1 plug change. Good job getting it done so quick. Arm size really does make a difference though. Even after doing multiple plug changes on LS1s, I doubt I could beat your 1.5 hour time.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i keep forgetting about the air pipe getting in the way since mine has been long gone, but i only have two coil pack bracket bolts installed so it takes absolutely no time to get them out of the way on plug changes. I can change mine in just over a half hour these days.

1.5 hrs is pretty good considering you had to fight with all the extra bolts to get the stuff out of your way
Old 06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
I just completed my first plug change on an LS1. I have done an LT1 twice so I sorta knew what I was getting into. I started on the pass. side, plug #8 because I knew it was going to be the hardest. Unbolted coil bracket and AIR pipe and I had that plug out in about 5 minutes after that. PIECE OF CAKE! Granted I have fairly skinny arms but #8 was very easy. Everything went smoothly from there All in all, it took me about a total of 1 and a half hours, taking my time. Not bad for a first time eh?

One question, who the hell puts one freaking Bosch platinum and leaves all of the rest alone? The Bosch didnt even seem to have an electrode anymore! It looked much worse than all of the rest of the AC Delcos which looked normal.

Oh, I used NGK TR-55s with suprisingly a fixed tip (not the unscrewable type)

I am still having this high RPM detonation issue though. I am not even sure it is detonation but I need to get that fixed. I didnt want to get a colder plug because of the fouling issue. I read they foul much easier. Now I kinda wish I would have used TR6s.

Thanks to everyone on this site and the search function for saving me around $500 installing my own plugs.
Congratulations! Nice job getting it done so quickly. Was the back coil pack bolt out already when you started? That damn thing alone took me about an hour to get out.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

good job man.. thats pretty funny about the one bosche platinum, back in the day i put those shitty plugs in my car, and ended up changing for the ngks
Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Mike-I did have a hard time getting that back coil bracket bolt off but I just used a short 10 mm wrench. I had enough space to get about 1/3 turn at a time with the 12 point side. I left that damn thing off. I may try the TR6's soon as I am still having detonation in high RPMs. I dont know if I want to change the plugs out every 5,000 miles though.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Mike-I did have a hard time getting that back coil bracket bolt off but I just used a short 10 mm wrench. I had enough space to get about 1/3 turn at a time with the 12 point side. I left that damn thing off. I may try the TR6's soon as I am still having detonation in high RPMs. I dont know if I want to change the plugs out every 5,000 miles though.
my TR6's were fine at 10,000 miles when i changed them. my current set has 4500 on them and i pulled a couple yesterday...they still look good
Old 06-25-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, thats good to know. I will definitely pick up a set.