General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EGR Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Cleaning?

My car is throwing an EGR code... but only after it warms up... and from time to time a loud whining will start, and when the whining starts the SES light comes on. Sometimes I will drive it for an hour or two without a whining or an SES Light but sometimes after a min or two they will both start... This leads Me to believe the EGR Valve is getting stuck. With 65k on the car I don't think the EGR would have gone bad, and removing EGR and AIR isn't really an option for Me... so I would like to remove it and clean it out, I've been searching for ahwhile and can't really find specific insructions, I'm no pro mechanic but I get by pretty well, so if someone could give Me some insructions and advice on how to remove the EGR I would really appreciate it... it would save Me a lot of money vs. taking it to the shop. What to clean it with would be helpful as well. Brake Cleaner maybe?

Thanks in Advance :-).
Old 07-09-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

im not too sure where the egr valve is on an ls1, but you are having the same problem I had when my egr was clogged, I dont think that there is too much you can do to clean one out, just get a new one, (mabye im wrong?). For an lt1 an EGR valve only costs around 70.00 and it pretty much pays for its self with the amount of gas you save.

I wish I could tell you where its at on an ls1 but I dont know.

hope this helps a little.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah... I know a new one isn't too bad, but I've heard it's a little tricky to replace. I would rather see if I could clean it up because I've heard stuff like that before. Thanks for the info :-).
Old 07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

you have a Pm
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

you have another pm with the info you need...

Quick Reply: EGR Cleaning?