General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is the compressor i bought bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default is the compressor i bought bad?

so i just got this compressor from ebay from a 94 T/A.. mine is making a lot of noise so i figure'd i'd replace it before it blew up.. the seller listed the compressor as working and in good condition, however, when i received it and took it to get it installed the shop said it was a piece of junk... now sure i know your going to say they just want me to buy a new compressor from them... i dont think thats the case... the shop showed me a comp out of a caddy which is the same model compressor, and even with however many mies it had (im guessing 30-40k as the shop said the warrenty was going out on it so he changed it due to a possible leak) anyway, that compressor taken out for repairs spins 100x better than this comp i just got which you literally have to spin by hand (the caddy one you could spin it and it would just spin and spin, this one you can get maybe 1/4 of a spin out of it before it stops on its own)

the seller i dont think is gonna do **** for me, so he will get a nasty feedback comment and i may go to paypal to get my money back... and go to that shop and buy that caddy's compressor (shop said $30 bux plus $120 to do a rebuild on it) heres the kicker, and the reason i dont really want to put that compressor in if its gonna fail soon.... $230 install for the thing

anyone here know how easy the pulley should spin on a 93-97 TA compressor?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds toasted, sorry to hear that man I got a killer deal on my new comp.. was $98 shipped brand new GM Delco one but hey i got ripped off around $2,000-3000 for the car when i bought it because fraud so im owed some good luck haha
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-9...04563293QQrdZ1

be a man
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Get your money back by complaining to PayPal; I doubt it. Stay away from E-bay
Old 07-12-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
sounds toasted, sorry to hear that man I got a killer deal on my new comp.. was $98 shipped brand new GM Delco one but hey i got ripped off around $2,000-3000 for the car when i bought it because fraud so im owed some good luck haha
Damn Gun5, howd you get a deal like that? (If you dont want to share on here you can IM me).
Old 07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Feel the suction and discharge ports. Turn the compressor by grasping the whole thing "clutch and pulley" not just the pulley, and you should feel a strong pull on one side and blow on the other. It should turn with ease, but not spin freely. That will just let you know the internals are working.

The problem with used compressors is it's a crap shoot about the seals etc.. it sucks to go though all that work and have no freon a day later.
It is always wise to buy a new or rebuilt ac compressor from a parts store, because you might be doing the job many times with junk-yard stuff.

I wish you luck with PayPal and Ebay. Did you use a credit card through PayPal? The card company might help. Why the **** would be someone be so petty and rip off a guy over an ac compressor Needs an *** kicking.