General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions...

What are some common symptoms of vacuum leaks? Just curious if I have one or not, it has been running kinda weird lately.

Also, whenever i start the car, i let the fuel pump prime all the way and then turn it over. This morning when i did that, i heard more than just the fuel pump priming. Its hard to describe the noise, but it sounded like something under the hood dealing with fuel delivery because it went away when the fuel pump finished. Like an additional humming noise (best way to describe it) that I have never heard before.

This is a really odd post, I hope somebody can make some sense of it and gimme some feedback. Thanks all!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

What do you mean when you say that its been running "kinda weird"?
vacuum leaks can cause a few different symptom depending on where and the severity of the leak. Usually you'll have some sort of performance problem but can go along with rough idle or stalling. Kinda need more info here to help you out. For now, give it a real close look over, make sure everything is connected. With the engine running listen real close for vacuum leaks. You might get lucky and hear a slight hissing sound that would point you to the problem. If you're having performance issues, there are all kinds of things that can cause this. I've had a few battles with performance. Sometimes it takes a while but so far I've won every battle.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

so pretty much the main symptoms of vacuum leaks are rough idles and stalling? I dont have either of those. Maybe I am imagining things. What all should i be looking for when checking for everthing to be connected? Vacuum leaks are foreign to me and all the lines associated with them.