General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The Most Wierd Battery Problem Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The Most Wierd Battery Problem Ever!

ok so i get in my car after not driving it for about 3 hours and my car dont even have enough juice in the battery to power any lights, horn, solenoid, etc...Which is kind of strange because I have a semi-new Die Hard Gold battery. So I got a friends truck to jump it off and everytime I was trying to jump my car it was making all my electronics in the car go wild like, antennae up and down, hatch open, headlights on and off. Truck wasnt giving me enough juice it was barely giving me enough to make my solenoid click. I then decided to hook up my battery charger and try to start it with that. Same thing continues and still no car to start. Now im confused because my battery charger is saying that my battery is 100% charged. I even tested the battery with a battery gauge and it showed that the battery was all the way up. Kind of wierd considering it didnt even have enough to power my dome light or even my little led light on the dash. So I run to Walmart and buy a new battery, now with the new battery on my car it starts right up with no prob...Does anyone have any ideals on whats going on with my battery?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad connections/battery? Have the old one load tested, sometimes the voltage will read OK but doesn't have enough AMPs to start the car.

Edit: My diehard gold only lasted a couple years - plus they sold me a "warm climate" model rated at only 550 CCA - Helms says 690 for the LS1.

Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 07-20-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you must have a Dieharder, oops, Diehard. No, but seriously. Its more than possible to have a bad cell in the battery, and it will work intermittantly like that until it completely goes. I had a similar thing happen to my 74, and that takes almost no juice at all to keep running.
Drove it 50 miles, shut it off a few times, no issues. Pulled into the gas station, filled up..and yup...nothing..just a few clicks and the battery was toast.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

I would have triple-checked the connections before buying a new battery
Old 07-21-2006, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

all the connectors are perfect no corrosion what so ever. Found out it was a bad cell. I put a load on it with my battery gauge and it shows to be all the way bad it would barely go to 1 volt.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

All it takes is one cell to short out inside and it's junk. See if it has a warranty, even if they prorate it you might some money back. I drive a truck 150,000 miles a year and I have to replace mine every 2 or 3 years. Once they (it has 4) give me any hesitation like that, they're gone. I've had them give engine codes and once even shut the ECM down randomly.