General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rant about spark plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rant about spark plugs...

I know the LS1 heads are meant to be used on either side, but for the life of me WHY THE HELL ARE THE PLUGS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE AIMED AT THE FIREWALL!!!???!!!???

It took me 2 h and 20 min to do the whole change with over a hour and a half dedicated to the passenger side...

With the air tube removed and even if the plugs were aimed at the firewall, there's STILL loads more space to work with on the driver's side. I think the designer of the LS1 heads did this the **** on purpose.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always hard the first time. . it took me five hours but that was with a lunch break . .this next time took me 2 hours and this last time took me 45 mins. . had all the tools i need and i didnt have to deal with that 5th bolt on the coil pack .. took it off the second time and chucked it into the street. .
Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tools can make all the difference, I can remove and reinstall the cylinder 8 spark plug wire from under the car, far easier. I also have a neat ratchet with a flexi head on it that makes getting at 6 and 8 a lot easier.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my first plug change on my '02 a couple weeks ago. I actually spent more time on getting the damn #8 plug wire off than anything else. After the wire was finally off I had the #8 plug out and new one in in like 2 minutes.

And yes, to vent my frustration I whipped the #8 wire out from my garage into the street and a few minutes later my neighbor across the street comes walking up with it in hand, laughing, asking me if I was missing something! I put new MSD 8.5's on it anyway.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no issue taking off the wires, I took off the 6 and 8 coil pack too with no problems. What was bloody frustrating was getting my swivel head ratchet onto the number 8 plug. I dropped it a few times trying to move and bend my hands in new ways, all the while getting shredded by the various little things in that section.

What makes it so damn frustrating was that it is aimed towards the back too so I had to climb onto my freaking engine and go completely by feel. Thank god I'm used to feeling around blind during plug changes because as a newb I'd be royally screwed.

I had all the tools needed for the change, and I couldn't imagine trying to do this change without the proper tools. Just disassembling the air tubes, and coil packs I had to use 3 different size 10 mm sockets (couldn't find my 10 mm wrench but I wouldn't have the patience to use a box wrench though).

Anyways, NGK TR55's went in with a 0.55 gap more or less with MSD 8.5 mm wires, LOTS OF ANTI SIEZE on the threads, LOTS of dielectric grease on the wires.