General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 ICM's in one year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ICM's in one year?

About a year ago, my car died while driving on the highway and I had to get it towed to a shop. They ended up replacing the ignition control module. Worked like a champ.

Fast forward to now. I replaced the ignition control module AGAIN because it went to crap in my driveway. That little thing was $80 so I dont want to make a habit of replacing these. What could be causing these things to go out?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Anyone?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad Coil?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

I would be checking for a possible short somewhere in its wiring. Maybe the insulation is rubbed off somewhere just slightly on its wiring causing it short out under certain circumstances. I'm just throwing out ideas here. Make sure all connectors associated with it are corrosion free also. Are you certain that the module is bad? Can you transfer it to another car and see if it works? Maybe you have a bad wire (kinked, pinched, etc...) and when you replace it the wire is set in a different position making it work again.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Originally Posted by chino_man279
I would be checking for a possible short somewhere in its wiring. Maybe the insulation is rubbed off somewhere just slightly on its wiring causing it short out under certain circumstances. I'm just throwing out ideas here. Make sure all connectors associated with it are corrosion free also. Are you certain that the module is bad? Can you transfer it to another car and see if it works? Maybe you have a bad wire (kinked, pinched, etc...) and when you replace it the wire is set in a different position making it work again.
I had it tested at Autozone. Totally dead. Car didnt run with that ICM in it, put a new one in and it runs great now.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the ICMs on LT1s are anything like 3rdgen ones, you have to make sure the heat sink grease stuff is on there good, or else it'll just fry itself.