General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problems starting

Old 07-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems starting

Last Monday morning I went to take my car down to the body shop to have a few things repairs and I had to try and crank it 3 times before it would start and it was fine after it got started. Then my dad went to take it out of the garage the other day and it wouldn't start for him. The 2nd or 3rd time he tried, it started, then when he went to put it back in the garage it wouldn't start again. We checked for codes and it's throwing P1626 and P0332. I know the first one is about the lock and fuel stuff and the other is about low knock in bank 2 (not worried about this one at the moment) But what can I do about the P1626? My friend Mike, WS6FirebirdTA00, that tuned my car and that has helped with all my stuff told me just to clean the chip on the key with rubbing alcohol but that didn't seem to do it and the other key for the car won't work either. Soooo any idea of what I can do? Someone told me it could be the key cylinder, would I have to go to the dealership to do this? I'm so lost.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does it start then stall or just not start? Do the keys or chips look worn? If not, you may be in the market for a a new lock cylinder. If you want it diagnosed properly to determine if its the PCM, BCM, or the lock cylinder, I would advise you to take it to the dealership. I'd diagnose it for you, but you are quite a ways away from me

BTW...

DTC P1626 is Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Lost
Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

just doesnt start
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a little confused. Does the engine crank, or not? I believe that the engine would not crank if you had a VATS problem. I would start with the basics. Air, fuel, compression, and spark is all that is required to run. Since you know it runs fine when started, start with fuel psi readings after the car sits for a while, possible faulty check valve issue in the pump- not uncommon. You can also turn key from off to on 3-4 times to build fuel psi before you start it- if it fires right up or readings are low, look for a fuel leak (internal or external), and if those tests pass, then go on and verify proper spark, and on from there.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badragtop
I'm a little confused. Does the engine crank, or not? I believe that the engine would not crank if you had a VATS problem. I would start with the basics. Air, fuel, compression, and spark is all that is required to run. Since you know it runs fine when started, start with fuel psi readings after the car sits for a while, possible faulty check valve issue in the pump- not uncommon. You can also turn key from off to on 3-4 times to build fuel psi before you start it- if it fires right up or readings are low, look for a fuel leak (internal or external), and if those tests pass, then go on and verify proper spark, and on from there.
The engine can and may crank if its a VATS problem...I've seen it before. The PCM just wont enable the injectors. A lot of times it will start and stall.

Ashley, is the security lamp on or flashing when you turn the ignition to "ON"?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Teching In

It'll crank but won't start. The security lamp is on with the key in the on position until I try to crank it then it turns off.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Teching In

If it is the lock cylinder can I take it to a chevy dealership or should I go to a pontiac dealership? Cause there is a chevy dealership a few minutes from my house whereas the pontiac dealership is a good 30-45 minutes away.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can take it to a Chevy dealership w/o any problems.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Is there anyway I could bypass it with a resistor? (My boyfriend made the suggestion but he isn't sure)
Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAm99Chic
Is there anyway I could bypass it with a resistor? (My boyfriend made the suggestion but he isn't sure)
Yes you can do that, but I wouldnt for a couple reasons:

1 - You have to cut 2 wires under the dash, specifically the ignition cylinder contact wires, and solder in a resister which matches the resistance of your key pellet.

2 - You leave your car EXTREMELY vulnerable if someone ever wanted to steal it.

I would just get it fixed correctly and not worry about it anymore.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Alright thank you so much for your help!

Search this Thread