General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wierd ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd ticking noise

I just had pacesetter L/T put on my car, and had a custom y-pipe installed. And ever since then there has been this wierd ticking sound. You can only here the noise when you are accelerating at 2400 rpm and on up, if you are deccelerating there is no noise. If you are at 2400rpm or higher and are not accelerating there is no noise. Only when you accelerate. Ive had all of the welds checked thinking it might be an exhaust leak everthing has seemed to check out. I checked the header bolts and they are all tight. The noise is coming from the drivers side, and it is driving me crazy Any suggestions would be a big help and thanks in advanced.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

I'd guess exhaust leak anyways. But a exhaust leak would make noise at idle too, so I'm not sure. Get someone to look at it.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Exhaust leak thats what it sounds like make sure there is no missing gaskets
Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
I'd guess exhaust leak anyways. But a exhaust leak would make noise at idle too, so I'm not sure. Get someone to look at it.
I know normally if it is the exhaust it would be doing it at idle to, but for some reason it is not. It is a very unique kind of ticking sound. I dont know i guess i will have to take it somewhere and have it looked at, but i appreciate the help and if yall can think of anything else let me know.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Mine is doing that too after a header install. I even had the header re-installed and not even a week later it was doing it again. I think my flange may be warped. I can almost see some carbon around the flange. Very little pin hole probably. Almost sounds like a spark plug arking.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Do you still have an AIR system? If so, there's a good possibility you're hearing the check valves fluttering.

Also, keep in mind that LS1s are somewhat noisey motors, and adding headers usually just amplifies the sound.

Question, can you still hear the noise when the motor is free revved to above 2400rpm? Or only under load (accelerating in gear)?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I would guess an exhaust leak because it started happening after you messed with the exhaust. But if you got it checked out and couldn't find a leak then I don't know...

Could you have accidently shredded a wire somewhere while intalling the headers that could be causing an arc making the ticking sounds?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Like everyone else, double check exhaust, ticking is generally a sure-fire sign of an exhaust leak. As for the arcing, it's possible, but highly unlikely to be consistent at a certain RPM, IMO.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

This is the exact same problem I had when I installed my pacesetters. It turned out to be a gasket. Did you use new OEM gaskets or the cheap *** gaskets that come with the headers? Mine started with a tick and then escalated to a freaking knock that sounded like a bad rod bearing. Everyone I took the car to said it was a rod bearing. I trusted my old man this time and swapped the gaskets over to new OEM stuff and never looked back. Problem went away without question. I couldn't hear my leak at idle so not all exhaust leaks are that audible at idle. If it makes the noise only under load it is an exhaust leak. If it does it while free reving it might be a lifter that is ticking. The headers will amplify sounds from the bottom end and bring those quite little lifter ticks out fairly loud. Also is the tick more noticable after you beat the **** out of it. If it is then you got a lifter.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Yes i used new oem gaskets. The sound is so annoying. I have taken it to every shop around here and noone seems to be able to tell me what it might be. I also have pacesetters and i know that the headers are really amplifying the sound. I was also wondering if it might be a valve and i just couldnt here it until i put the headers on. I put seafoam in thinking that it would straighten it out. But it didnt. Oh and to rpm ws6 you can still here the noise when just reving over 2400. and the noise is only on the drivers side. The passenger side has no noise. I bought the pacesetters headers with emissions so i believe the AIR is still on there. This is driving me crazy.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting your AIR system from the driver's side header. If the tick is gone, you found your problem. If the tick is still there, then you at least ruled out one culprit.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem only my exhaust is stock and my ticking is inaudible when I rev it in neutral but it's there under load even at lower revs. The gm dealership and my mechanic said that it was a broken exhaust bolt but I haven't found it yet. I guess I just need to take off the manifolds and inspect everything. I doubt that helps but I tried.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys i will check my AIR monday. Hopfully this will be it.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

My car does the same thing (Macs and ORY) I removed my AIR thinking that was the problem but it did nothing, My gaskets are GM except at the collectors. I even smoked the exhasut for leaks and nothing showed near the manifolds. I know its not a lifter or internal. After a year of this crap my exhaust is going back to stock in a few weeks. It gets old quick.