General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

royal purple question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default royal purple question.

hey guys whats going on, i recently put royal purple 10w30 in my car about a 1k miles ago, i was running mobil 1 prior to this. ive noticed that when i changed to RP that my oil pressure was a tad lower, and now my car smells like its buring oil. it didnt do either one of these things when i had the moble 1 in it. it used to just smell like burnin gas ( i dont have cats). if someone could chime and tell what could possibly be causing both of these things, that would be great. thanks again LS1tech!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

usually the royal purple will raise your oil pressure a bit more than the mobil 1. Do you have a ported oil pump yet? could be going out. If you floor it do you get any smoke, or does it just smell. Have you checked your oil lately?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

i have a stock ls1 oil pump. sometimes when i floor it there is a little bit of smoke, not blue more like a greyish,white color plus it smells, even when its sittin at idle. yes i checked the oil today and it was a little less then a quarter of a quart low, so i added some. now when i had mobil 1 in there, i didnt burn really much until it was almost time to due an oil change. so im confused i payed more for rp but have some minor problems, i will say though the motor does seem to run a bit smoother with the RP in her.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Did you get any oil on the exhaust when you changed it? You know that stuff comes flying out when you remove that bolt.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

come on now im not stupid, the smell is coming out of the exhaust, so its burning internaly somewhere. i think i would know if it was on the outside of the exhaust or inside. so i take it no one understands why this could be happening
Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

blue smoke=oil; white smoke=water; black smoke=rich condition. red smoke=fire. yellow smoke=pissing on fire.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

RP is manufactured from VLC (Very Light Crude), one step from being gasoline. It's viscosity is lighter, so a drop in oil pressure during normal running would sound about right. However, if your burning oil at idle, you have bigger problems than just an oil pump going out. Monitor your oil level for a week or so; check first thing in the morning, before startup. If there's a noticable dip in the level, then you're burning oil. Let us know.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

i have been keepin track of the oil, but what i dont understand why it didnt burn oil when i had Mobil 1 in it. i think im gonna just switch back over to mobil 1 the next oil change.