General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Techy Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techy Help

Okay, I ordered a level IV flp trans and have a yank 3600ss. I had a guy put it in for me then i drover to OKC to have a cam put in. Got back home and noticed a lound clunking noise. So, I decided i'd find out what the deal is. I pulled the starter and checked the Tq convertor bolts, 2 of them were loose. Looks like the tranny installer failed to tread lock them. So, I bought new bolts and treadlock. And assembled it all back together. I went to hook up the battery and the Ignition wire was touching the battery cable. Causing it to continue clicking. I removed the cable and pulled the starter, Fixed the wire, Reassembled it all. Now it Makes a click when i turn the key to the start position and The bendix is staying engaged. I removed the starter took it to the parts store, Had them bench test it, It tested fine! Came back and noticed that the ignition wire end was broken, replaced the wire end, Reassembled the starter, and tried again, SAME THING! i pulled the starter over and over and am coming up with nothing.

When i put the key in, The bells and radio come on and gauges read 13v but as soon as i het the start position, CLICK is what i get and then loose it all until i drop the starter. When turn the key off the SES Light comes on and gauges go hay-wire!!

It's like i have power to engage the bendix, But not enought to turn the motor!!

Any hints on what to look for?? How do you check the relays?? Could i have burned the starter solenoid??
Old 08-06-2006, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possibly the battery. I've seen it a coule times where the battery has enough juice for the acessories but not enough to cycle the starter.