General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Well changed the plugs today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well changed the plugs today...

01 Formula with about 72000 miles on it, engine was replaced at 33,000 miles so the plugs were replaced when they put the motor in the car.

Thanks to some info from on here I used the NGK TR55's, anti seize compound, and lithium grease for the boots.

Took me about 2 hours by myself for a first time. Here is my take on it if you have never done it.

Make sure you use the lithium grease in each plug wire, makes the wires go on and off easier. Also make sure to anti seize compound as well to make future changes worry free.

Do #8 from the bottom like said from others, only took me a min or two to get that one done and out of the way.

Pull the passanged side coils packs off of the motor, it will make the passanger side way easier. The very back bolt on the coil pack is a bugger to get to, I had to move the engine harness out of the way and used a 1/4" drive with a long 10mm socket. You will have to force the socket on as the heater core hose will be in the way.

Once that is done the passanger side is pretty easy as long as you dont have hulk arms.

Drivers side is pretty straight forward, nothing to worry about on that side just remove and replace.

If I did not have to deal with my strut tower brace as I had soem issues wth it I would of have had them done in about a hour or so.

I dont know about most but I chose to leave the metal plug boot heat shields off, they are really made to use a plug removal tool to pull the plugs wires off without damaging the wire so off they stayed.

Overall the car seems to be running better, seems to run smoother and feels mor responsive. I gapped the plugs at .045. I will see how the car runs once we get out of the heat wave as it is a little down on power right now due to the ambient temps.