General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke

my cars been running like **** lately and i was trying to troubleshoot the problem and while doing that i notice after high revs my car would smoke (white smoke) pretty bad. only for the few seconds after word and then it would quit. it never did this before though. just wondering if this could maybe help in figuring out the bigger problem i have with the car right now?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Launching!

check your coolant level. If its low then you probably have a blown headgasket. If its running like crap its probably leaking enough coolant into your combustion chamber you begin fouling out the plugs. Does it ever overheat? White smoke is usually coolant getting into the combustion chamber. But you may want to get it into a shop to get it checked it out. You dont want it to leave you stranded somewhere. You can pressure check the cooling system and they also have a tool that can identify if theres combustion chamber gases in the coolant, it has a liquid that will change colors if there are any gases in the coolant.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Launching!

would a blown head gasket cause the car to stall out and stumble. it only stalls and dies around town but on the highway it runs fine????????
Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Launching!

if your getting that much coolant into the engine, Yeah it can foul out the spark plugs enough to stall out the engine. Go back to the tailpipe and see if you can smell anything sweet or what would resemble coolant. But your best bet is to check your coolant level. If its low and you dont have any external leaks then theres only one place for it to go and thats into your engine. But if your coolant checks out alright and is full then you will have to start diagnosing it further.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Launching!

coolant level seems fine but i'll have to check on the smell from the tailpipe in a little bit.