General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC broken in TX heat :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC broken in TX heat :(

my air conditioning is throwing out warm air no matter what setting i put it on. my only other option is rolling the windows down, which isnt that much better in the Texas heat .
what could be wrong? and what should i check for?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

off topic I know, you ever been pulled over for not having a front plate?? I'm thinkin' about just taking my front plate off and say to teh cop "The Vettes get away with it!"
Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be lots of things. I'm guessing the compressor isn't even coming on - the pressure sensor will keep it off if the charge is too low - or even too high. You'll need to have someone put gauges on it to check the charge, or maybe it's just a blown fuse/relay. See lots of signs here lately from various shops saying "Free AC Check" If your town is the same maybe you can get it diagnosed for free.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Where exactly are you located
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

im from el paso, i'll see if i can check around for a free diagnostic.
and surprisingly i havent gotten pulled over for the front plate in THIS car, but i have been pulled over for that in my other car :\
Old 08-11-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

anyone wanna take a guess at how much this would cost depending on the situation?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ac went out on my GFs 4 banger last March, just blew hot air. Guy at work recommended Beto's on Alameda in the valley. Took it down there and he checked it for leaks, found none, recharged for 65 bucks. I asked why it lost it's charge if no leak. He said tiny amounts are always escaping, like thru shaft seals and stuff. It's a 94, so 12 years, I could believe that. But yours is an 02, thinking it's something more serious.

Shop is honest too. My GF has a daughter in town. Her car died one night about a month later (another 4 banger), said it started to spill antifreeze, backfired, died. I diagnosed the problem as a waterpump that puked, took out the timing belt. I told her that if it didn't overheat (she said no) head gasket was probably ok. Repair would be about 2-300. Had it towed to Beto's and left it there. Went by in the morning, talked to Eddie, gave him the symptoms, but not what I thought it was to see what he would say. He came to the exact same diagnosis, said it would be 225 if the head gasket didn't pop, parts included. I told him to have at it... it was finished by noon, gasket was ok, been running like a champ. Warning - they speak only espanol there.

Are you a member on FBEP? Might want to ask there too, I think the president works at a shop. http://www.fbodyelpaso.org/board/index.php

Only thing you can look for is a wet appearance at the back of the compressor, lines, etc. 134 evaporates instantly, but it has oil in the charge to lube AC compressor internals. The oil is what leaves the residue.

edit: forgot to tell you I'm in EP too.

Last edited by angel71rs; 08-14-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem and it ended up being the fuse. cheap fix for sure...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is the AC compressor coming on??? If not it might be a fuse. If it is,check your lower AC line (the high side line) to see if your sway bar has rubbed a hole in it. This usually happens in lowered cars because the sway bar is kinda kicked up.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SSmoky01
Is the AC compressor coming on??? If not it might be a fuse. If it is,check your lower AC line (the high side line) to see if your sway bar has rubbed a hole in it. This usually happens in lowered cars because the sway bar is kinda kicked up.
yea what he said...the sway bar will rub on it to the point where it will "pinch" or bend it...and it being aluminum..it will crack or get a hole...this happened to me with my sportlines...but i got hotchkis springs already lol
Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SSmoky01
check your lower AC line (the high side line) to see if your sway bar has rubbed a hole in it. This usually happens in lowered cars because the sway bar is kinda kicked up.

I had this start to happen but luckily I caught it in time..... didnt get all the way through.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Probably low on freon. Might have a leak. The compressor won't even turn on if the freon level is too low.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
Probably low on freon. Might have a leak. The compressor won't even turn on if the freon level is too low.
I'd go with What he said, plus check the fuse. Just do some troubleshooting on the thing.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Launching!

I have an Ac compressor u can buy if u need it? I put those self charge cans that u buy at autozone and it worked great for one day. but i seems its losing the charge. but before it still had some in it because I would still turn it on in the freeway. My highside line has been welded before so either its leaking or the weldding only constricted the line. I guess it could be anything.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a photo of the proper fuse for an AC compressor? I'm curious about mine.