General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Airbags...is it possible?

Old 08-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags...is it possible?

Ok, I have just recently bought a 94 Z28. Has a few body (inside and out) issues, but was well worth the price a paid for an under 100k mile LT1 and a perfectly working trans (minus the clutch) Now, the airbags have been deployed on the car. The frame is fine, and I'd say it wouldnt cost much more than a few hundred, if that, in parts to get the front end looking like it never happened. Now what I was wondering...is it possible to repair the airbag system myself? I can get the actual airbags, thats not an issue. But does GM sell the sensor's seperately and is it a possible fix? This isnt something I need, as a 5-point harness would suit me fine, but I was wondering is it possible?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got used airbags off Ebay and a replacement airbag module at the dealershhip. Approx cost -> 450 for both airbags and the module.

Ebay = cheap.

Since airbags are a sealed non-serviceable unit I felt safe getting them anywhere. Electronics I only trust if they are new though.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ same thoughts as this guy...bags are good, but i wouldnt trust electronics unless they were new...
Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The air bags deployed in my '93 Acura Legend when a manhole cover that was sticking too far out of the ground struck the underbody of my car (on a sidestreet going 20-25 mph). I bought bags and a control module off eBay and had the body shop down the street install them. I then took the car to the dealer and had it checked out. They told me as long as the Air Bag light wasn't on, everything was okay. I only had it about a month after that before I traded it in, though.

Search this Thread