General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clinking/clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clinking/clicking sound

Ok, I get this clinking/clicking/metal on metal noise whenever I put the car in gear, start to accelerate slowly, or power-brake it just enough to shift the car's weight. If you can picture it, I power-brake it and let off and it makes the noise when the car goes up and then when it comes back down (power-brake-clink/let off gas-clink). Make sense? It almost sounds like exhaust (very hollow/tinny metallic sound). Here's the weird part....I put the front of the car on ramps supported by jackstands so I could get underneath and pinpoint the sound, and nothing. With the front end off the ground, it WILL NOT do it, so I assume it's something that has tension on it when the suspension is loaded but not when it isn't. Anybody have a clue? It's driving me nuts!

Edit for more info: car is bone stock and has 64k on it

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 09-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Anybody?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its hard to tell without actually hearing it for myself but I would check the flywheel for cracks even though it has nothing to do with the suspension. The way you described that it does it is when the engine is under a small load. If it was on stands, it really wasn't being put under a load.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Definitely not the flywheel. It's coming from the middle/rear half of the underside of the car. It sounds like either exhaust loose/shifting or suspension. Anybody ever have a torque arm go bad and make noises like this?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem. if you got an aftermarket catback, make sure the voer-axle pipe isnt hitting your passenger side tailpipe. i ahd to grind down aprt of my hanger cuz when under small laods or none it would clank and drive me nuts