General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

71 Chevelle starting problems!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 Chevelle starting problems!!!!!!

I know this isnt' an LS1 question but I am stumped... I have twelve volts at the solenoid untill I turn the key then there is no power. The car doesn't click turn over nothing.. None of the accessories work.. Sometimes if the car sits for awhile if you go in the interior light will work, but as soon as you try to start the car it goes away.. I got the battery checked, starter checked, replaced the solenoid, replaced the ignition switch.. Right now i'm freaking going crazy.... I know this isn't an LS1 quest but I could really use the help...
Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I know this is dumb because you have twelve volts at the solinoid but where is the ground set at?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

the ground is set at alternator bolt going into the block. That and the car ran and started fine.. I took it to the gym came out and it wouldn't start it was just completely dead
Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Have you checked your power at the voltage regulator? Are you getting 12 volts exactly? That regulator distributes the power if im not mistaken, You might have some bad wiring in it. My father had to replace his in his 70 chevelle just a few weeks ago.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Also you might want to ask this over at teamchevelle.com its free to join, and most of those guys are really into there cars and have had alot of time wrenching on cars