General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant leak at front of engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Coolant leak at front of engine

Well I got up this morning and walked to my car (01 WS6). I noticed 2 good sized spots on the ground . I drove to work anyway and raised on hoist. Looks like a coolant leak coming from the drivers side of the waterpump. What normally goes wrong with it- can you just replace the gasket? I am out of money for the time being so the least expensive way is what i am looking for. Or maybe I should car pool and save $$$ for repair and upgrades. So all of you that have seen this before, shine some light on what normally goes wrong...or recommend what should be done.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I'm doing a H/C change and have it all apart. I wouldn't think the the waterpump gasket would be the first thing to leak? Hoses or the little hole on the bottom of the pump letting you know the bearing is bad. Also if its leaking on the belt I would replace them.

I would save up for a new waterpump and belts.

Hmmm.....remove pump and clean gasket area, reuse steel and rubber gasket with rtv, free repair.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would check all of your coolant hoses first thing...make sure none of them have a cut or tear in them. If they are all fine I would change the gaskets and see what that does. Good luck
Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your strapped for cash, the least you can do is flush the system and replace gaskets....the pump itself can sometimes get clogged with crap, and the gaskets wear down anyways...cont. to monitor the situation
Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1badragtop
Well I got up this morning and walked to my car (01 WS6). I noticed 2 good sized spots on the ground . I drove to work anyway and raised on hoist. Looks like a coolant leak coming from the drivers side of the waterpump. What normally goes wrong with it- can you just replace the gasket? I am out of money for the time being so the least expensive way is what i am looking for. Or maybe I should car pool and save $$$ for repair and upgrades. So all of you that have seen this before, shine some light on what normally goes wrong...or recommend what should be done.
Same thing happened to me 2 months ago.

I decided to unbolt & remove the pump, 'hoping' it was the seal.
Unfortunetly for me, the seals were fine, it was the waterpump itself that was bad and leaking.

Since I had to to spend the cash anyway for a new pump, I decided to spend a few extra dollars now, and buy an EWP (with new gaskets - just in case :-)
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I took it over to my brother's work (Cadillac dealer) and he confimed the waterpump itself. He actually did the work himself for free and just the the parts cost to his A/R account. F*N awesome! Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Nothing better than the family hook-up. Buying him dinner would go a long way...there WILL be a "next time".