General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard start - runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
That sounds like a bad check valve or presure regulator.
Check valve is not in the basket is it?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

when mine started doing this it turned out to be rusted fuel lines and fuel rail.Eventually it just stopped running and WOW what a mess.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

only 24k on this car...
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

yeah mine had 17k on it
Old 10-29-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

More than likely a leaky fuel injector or pressure regulator. Unbolt your fuel rail and hold it up off the manifold so all the injectors are up enough so you can see the pintles. Turn your key on to prime the system and see if you have a leaking injector. If you dont, look to a leak in the tank.

I've had them be regulators, or the hoses going from the pump to the module.

We have shut-off valves we hook up near the fuel rail connection that we can use to diagnose this. Basically you hook your pressure gauge up to the rail, have someone prime the system, then as soon as the pump turns off, turn your shut-off valve to the 'off' position. This limits any fuel from flowing back to the tank....if your gauge doesnt drop, then nothing is leaking from the shut-off valve and forward. So basically it would rule out your injectors and pulse dampener.

If you open the shut-off valve and the fuel pressure immediatly drops then you have a leak somewhere behind the shut-off valve.

As I said above, check the injectors, regulator and the hose that goes from the fuel pump to the module.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

yeah i had leaky injectors,they were jammed open with rust!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:54 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lubricant,any updates man?Did you try any of Josh's advice?

Very curious...thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

subscribing. I have the same problem.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Add me to the list! My friends always make fun of my car since it wont start and its pretty embarrassing when im parked around a group of people and try to leave but the car wont start!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is an update on my brother's car (the reason I subscribed to this thread).

my brother was having a hard to start problem once the car had been sitting for a while.Like a few hours or so.

He would go to start it and the engine would turn over and over fine but not catch.He would turn the key once more and then it would kick on.Even then it would at times kick on and sputter before finally evening out to an idle.

He decided to go in and check the connections to the fuel pump and found that a hose, I believe he said was the problem.Sorry this whole discussion was over the phone as we live in different states...

He described the "ridged" tube was slipping off the connection to the pump.Wasn't fully off but getting there.He reconnected it and secured it.I guess that through this lousy connection the system was losing pressure.

Slapped it all back together and bingo!The car starts right off the bat every time.

Not saying that this is the problem with everyone's cars but,it definately points to hard start problems being associated with a fuel problem somewhere in the mix.And not getting proper pressure in the fuel supply at start up.

Just some info take it at will...hope it helps.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just as I thought, either an injector, regulator, or the hose that goes from the fuel pump to the module.

I've actually seen them where the hose is in the fuel so long it gets very brittle and cracks. The pump can supply good pressure, but it just cant hold the pressure once the vehicle is turned off...all the fuel in the feed line drained back into the tank and the pump had to pressurize all the lines everytime you started the car....extended crank is a fuel problem 95% of the time. A good technician always starte with the most probable.