General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeak from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak from rear suspension

every time the rear end has any type of load (going over a speed for example) a loud squeak occurs that can be heard from like a mile away. I removed the sway bar a aplied silicone paste to the sway mounting bushings and the poly. sway bar endlinks but it still makes( even worse when I tightend the sway bar back into place). My friend at the chevorlet dealership told me that i should replace the endlinks? Any help would be great..because it hard to give a mustang sh.. when your squeaking up next to him
Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bushings and endlinks can go bad....i actually got a bad one SENT to me one day with my suspension....get the ones that actually have grease fitings
Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You haven't had the rear LCA's off of the car have you? If so, did you set the axle on ramps when you tightened them back down? If not, you will pick up a nasty squeak over bumps. As a test, put the rear on ramps, loosen (DO NOT remove the bolts) the LCA's, bounce the car a few times, retorque the bolts. That might be the cause of your noise. My rear sway bar squeaks, but I don't really worry much about it, but that's just me.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

never had the rear lca's off but it's worth checking it out the squeak sounds nasty. thanks for the advise
Old 10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any aftermarket suspension parts?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

the sway bar bushings on the U bolts are the cause.

mine were dry rotted, so i just greased them over as a temporary fix until i get a strano sway bar.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trackbird
You haven't had the rear LCA's off of the car have you? If so, did you set the axle on ramps when you tightened them back down? If not, you will pick up a nasty squeak over bumps. As a test, put the rear on ramps, loosen (DO NOT remove the bolts) the LCA's, bounce the car a few times, retorque the bolts. That might be the cause of your noise. My rear sway bar squeaks, but I don't really worry much about it, but that's just me.
Sorry to revive a super old thread but I was having this problem after installing bolt on sfc's and it was really starting to **** me off. I did a search and found this and thought it couldn't be that simple could it?!?! So I tried it and guess what?
No more annoying squeak!!!
so FWIW I just thought I'd say thanks