General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tore the boot on lower ball joint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tore the boot on lower ball joint!

My question is is the boot part replaceable or am I done for and need to replace the a arm itself? Pickle fork caught it while trying to seperate it and came out with a ton of grease on one side and sure enough a nice rip... How bad am I looking here if anyones knows? I had to walk away from it when that happened but still havn't got them apart. Thanks for any answers.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try to get a replacement from the "HELP" line of accessories at your local parts store. If not, you can replace the balljoint (you'll need a balljoint press (tool) to do it or have a shop do it) and you will not have to change the whole arm. I'd clean up the torn boot and take it to the store with you and ask for help finding a similar replacement. That's where I'd start.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds good off to the store I go, I finally got them seperated and was able to remove the dust boot no damage to the ball joint itself so it would be ashame to have to go buy the tool press a new one in there. I am wondering if they carry the ball joint just in case or if the dealerships sell just the dust cover? Hmmm any answers would be greatly appreciated. I am off to be proactive and go shopping.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

friendly folks down at the auto store had a "box o boots" I found one very similar that should just do the job! We shall see, if not I'll head back out and continue hunting.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty much the way to do it.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

ALL DONE! I'll just keep a close eye on it make sure it does the job. I wan't to take it out so badly but missing a t-top and it's pouring outside : ( <---- ME right about now. Thanks for all of your help as always.