General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV System Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV System Sludge

Hey guys

I went to check my oil today, it was a quart down (looked fine, good brown color, no stuff in it) but there was orange sludge stuff ALL OVER the inside of the oil cap...along with lots of moisture that dripped all over.

So I start to get pissed...I pull the PCV system apart, and I find more yellow gook and moisture. I removed the PCV valve, and a small amount of water ran out of it when I removed it. I have a breather filter on the end of the line instead of having it attached to the TB, but the filter didn't really have anything in it. This leads me to believe that the PCV system is not venting properly.

I'm worried that its a head gasket...because thats a lot of moisture and yellow sludge crap to be in the oil cap and PCV system, never seen anything like it before. However, apparently having the PCV system plugged up can have the same effect, so I'm hoping thats all it is.

Anyway, what should I do?? I'm thinking pull the whole PCV system out, clean it up, run seafoam in the oil, change the oil, and then either attach a breather to the oil cap or to the valve cover. Or would a catchcan be better, since it would have vacuum from the engine on it??

Any help is appreciated...