General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure

I was driving along in town, and noticed my pressure as at 40psi. Then when I was stopped at the light it fell below 40 about half way and would move every now and then. Do you think its the gauge or maybe im low on oil? Still waiting for the engine to cool to check it...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what's going on, mine has never done that. But if you get to about 2 quarts low on oil the low oil light should illuminate. Check the oil level with the engine warm, after turning if off and 5 minutes. The oil pressure sensor is behind the intake/drivers side - I'd check to make sure it's not leaking and the connector on top is fully seated.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine idles around 20 when the oil is hot, 40 or 50 while cruising at 70 mph. Running GC 0w30, don't remember if it did that with other oil as I did an oil change the same week I got it 2 years ago and haven't run any other kind of oil since. I figured it had something to do with the synthetic oil being a tad thinner when hot, and my k&n oil filter being low restriction, hence not letting as much pressure build when idling.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff M
I was driving along in town, and noticed my pressure as at 40psi. Then when I was stopped at the light it fell below 40 about half way and would move every now and then. Do you think its the gauge or maybe im low on oil? Still waiting for the engine to cool to check it...
mine does the same thing once ive been driving for awhile and i get to stop or light it will drop from40 psi to 30 and fluctuate.....i talked to another member on here who had the same proble ....he replaced his oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) and the problem was fixed... i havent gotten around to doing that to mine be will soon...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Wow awesome guys, I'll look into that.

Thanks