General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing

Ok, so sometimes when I turn left in my car, especially at low speeds I get a loud squealing noise from the front of the car. I know that this is power steering related, but what would actually cause the noise? Power steering pump? A belt perhaps? Or maybe I just need to change the PS fluid. Anyhow, i'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

can be a number of things, but id check the belt first. if it has any dry rot, its time to replace it. are you over steering at all? many other possibilites. worn pulley, worn pump, etc. steering knuckle worn. a new belts about 25 bucks if its a a 4th gen which i assume is you picture. and its a good idea to replace every so often.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked at the fluid a while back when I first noticed the problem, and it looked fine and was full. Which belt should I be checking exactly? If the belt looks beat up, how hard is it to change? Also, if I need the belt, what is the part #? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

its a single serpentine belt on 93-97 and i think on 98-02 as well, but never seen under the hood on one.

it helps to have two people change a belt, its a pain but not real hard. there is a tensioner pulley on the bottom of the motor, and a diagram on the radiator cover to show you how to route the belt with and without a/c i think. now you might have to remove the air breather assembly and a hose or two if you dont have room. basically you look at how the belts on there, taking a pic helps the diagram is ok, but not as detailed as a pic could be. you pull on the tensioner really hard with a ratchet or wrench and it lets the belt become free. this is when you either have to use a screwdriver to pop the belt free at the top, or have a friend hold it and pull the belt off. it only takes a few minutes to do, but that tensioner pulls and if you dont have a lift you only have so much room, to grab at it, so when you put the new belt on, if you dont have someone helping you, and routing it, it takes awhile

part number i cant help you with, but it might be in the sticky for part numbers. bear in mind it might not be the cause of the problem. im not the most knowledgeable about cars, but i happend to have replaced the belt before when i was getting some slippage and it was a bit rotted. gonna replace it again soon, but after i fix the power steering so the new belt dont get destroyed.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Teching In

yep im getting that noise too. left front side
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, mine is left front, but the belt looks good, almost new.