General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car batteries

how long will the battery in my car last, if i unplug the positive terminal ,and dont start the car for 5 months.?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by gonefishn1212
how long will the battery in my car last, if i unplug the positive terminal ,and dont start the car for 5 months.?

Rather than doing that, why don't you buy a Battery Tender, leave the battery in the car and connected, install it on the battery and leave it hooked up for the five months. It will keep the battery charged and it will be ready for you start rolling just as soon as you turn the switch to start at the end of your five months.

I put the Battery Tender on my battery any time that I am not driving the car. My battery is seven years old and seems to be as strong now as it was the day it was installed in the car. A Battery Tender is a must in battery care.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

JEB has an excellent point, but some may not have the option. We have it all the time when folks park in deployed parking- no power available for a tender/charger.

With a FULLY charged battery in good condition, it should hold up fine with the battery dis-connected. I've been deployed for longer than 5 mos (nearly 10 the longest) and guys cars started OK when we got back.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

During the summer it should hold it 3-5 months. During the winter it will be less. Cold weather drains it fast.