General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering system questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering system questions

First question: On the LS1, which hose is the return line? Facing the engine, there is a heater type hose coming up from the bottom on the right, connected to the reservoir with a screw clamp. Then, there is a metal line coming in from the left. My guess is the return line is the metal one on the left, since it is a little higher and I would assume has some pressure.

When doing the flush, where do you disconnect the return line, at the reservoir or somewhere else?

Second question: My outer tie rod boots are shot, but the steering still feels relatively tight. My car is lowered (G2 springs). Does that matter and are there better options for replacing the outer tie rod ends than stock replacements from AutoZone?

Last question: I seem to have a little bit of play in the steering wheel. It may be the tie rod ends I suppose, but all in all the steering feels tight and when I had it on jackstands I couldn't feel any movement in the wheel just by pushing and pulling on it up/down/left/right. Is it common to have slack in the steering rod between the pump and firewall? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get your questions answered?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Baer makes some better replacements than stock. Eradisteer or something like that, but they're like $150 a piece

I'd just get greasable stock replacements. They're easy to change, and will outlast the stock pieces since you can actually service them with a grease gun.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

I would just get the Moog HD ends. These will outlast the Delcos (or any other AZ/Advance, etc. stuff) and AFAIK have zerk fittings for grease. Sam Strano (sponsor on here) usually has them in stock.------------------->