General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

So I replaced alternator 2 months ago with Duralast (refurbished) from Autozone and then changed the battery last week with a Duralast from Autozone.

Anyway, I was driving last night and the battery slowly discharged and was not recharged. When i touched the gas, the charge still didn't increase. This would suggest to me that there is a faulty wire / loose connection somewhere. I have not had a chance to get under the car and look bc it is still raining.

Any other ideas as to why it would seem like the alternator is not even there?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember your post from a few days ago - if the wiring looks good and worked for two months probably the alternator. As I said earlier, buddy of mine got rid of his problem with a new GM unit vs. reman parts store one.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by irnbru83
Any other ideas as to why it would seem like the alternator is not even there?
Well, if the exciter/field wire (small red wire that connects to the top of the alternator) isn't making a good connection with the alternator then it won't barely charge at all. I'd check that first.

If you are working with an autozone rebuilt alternator, that very well may be your problem. I won't even consider the chain parts stores rebuilds anymore. I go straight to GM, those work much better.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read the first part of what RPM said....ive had this happen to me before...the little connector will come out and the alt. wont charge your battery...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there an easy way to access the alternator? When i took the last one out, i was manoevering it towards the back of the car (through those hydraulic lines... fuel lines?). It was a total pain in the ***.

And why can't the alternator be on top of the engine bay?

EDIT: thanks for the replies. I checked the red wire yesterday briefly and it's not completely disconnected, but it could be bad inside the connector, i'll try tomorrow. Hopefully the weather improves