General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help...

So my A/C has been shot for a few months now. I checked the orifice tube and there are lots of metal shavings on the screen, does that mean I need new components besides a new compressor/orifice tube/accumulator/o-rings... like a new condensor? or could I just have the system flushed? And I haven't really been able to find teh correct amount of oil to put in the system.. 8 ozs?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, metal shavings. That's ruff. AFAIK there is only one moving part in the system, the compressor internals. Therefore, it is safe to say that it took a powder.
The problem you are going to have is this: If you can see metal shavings in your sight glass, then they are most likely throughout the system, at least the parts in the engine bay. I am not aware of a way to flush such material out safely (but there may be). The issue you will encounter is that you do not want to install a lot of new components only to have shavings somewhere else in the system. They would invariably find their way back to your compressor and the cycle would start all over again.
If my assumptions are true, your best bet would be to go to a junkyard and buy an entire system. You will need a new, not used dryer. Then you will need to pull a vacuum on the entire assembled system (normal time is 24 hours) to insure that all the seals are still good. Then, and only then, would you be concerned with filling it with oil and refrigerant.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I'm not very familiar w/ AC systems, so what is the 'sight glass'?