General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start

I have a 1996 Z28 and I am having a couple of starting problems. Put the Key in and the dash DOES NOT give the security light. When trying to start, all the guages stay on, stereo stays on and the vehicle does nothing. It is as if I did not turn the key at all. It happened all of a sudden with no warning. I tried to bump start it and nothing. I don't know what to do next,.. I was going to try to bypas the VATS and replace the starter relay next. I need an opinion and a suggested direction. What do you guys think? What would you do next?

Appreciatively,

Chuck

Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same kind of problem right now on my 1998 z28. I changed the relays with the fan relays and nothing. I tried giving it a pushing start and it would kind of turn on and just die. I'm afraid that it might be the starter, but it could also be the VATS, or just a simple bad connection. I'm going to take a closer look today under the car.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

It turned out to be the VATS system. I built a resistor pack and tricked the computer and the vehicle started up fine and has been good so far. Thanks guys

-Chuck

Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I just fixed my problem and it was the VATS system as well. I had a lot of problems with my battery keeping a charge as well. When I tried the bypassing the VATS with my spare key in place, it wouldn't start, so I gave up. Later on my dad retaped the key and it worked. When I taped it, the wires were also contacting the key and not just the resistor pellet. That's what my problem was I was probably adding more resistance, so it wouldn't start. The threads that are available on this are very helpful and thanks to everyone that contributed to those threads. I would have never figured something like this out.