General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant headaches

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant headaches

i've been have a problem with my car, whats happening is that usually under some spirited driving!!my car tends to puke coolant out of the overflow tank and now my low coolant light is always on after ia replaced the sensor, but now it seems that my car is always loosing coolant even when just crusing i"ll check the coolant level and continuosly have to top it off now other visible leaks, nothing in the oil, no white smoke....only fustrations....any heklp would be appreciated
Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Out of the overflow? You are prob filling it to high... Coolant is pushed out if there is to much in it...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Ummm. Right. Try replacing the radiator cap before you do anything else.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes.... Start with the stuff that wont cost to much... Normally its something easy or very simple
Old 02-17-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MxWickedZ28
i've been have a problem with my car, whats happening is that usually under some spirited driving!!my car tends to puke coolant out of the overflow tank and now my low coolant light is always on after ia replaced the sensor, but now it seems that my car is always loosing coolant even when just crusing i"ll check the coolant level and continuosly have to top it off now other visible leaks, nothing in the oil, no white smoke....only fustrations....any heklp would be appreciated
mine seems to do the same thing but I notice my overflow tank cap doesnt like to stay on.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

i've replaced caps left and right, still nothin....i'll top it off then like in 10 min of driving the low coolant light rears its ugly head..i'll park let it cool down and like a 20oz bottle worth of coolant
Old 02-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Then you have air pockets in your system that arent coming out. Are you bleeding it with the heater on? Whats the temp look like? When its doing what do the hoses look like? Are they collapsing?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

where is the low coolant sensor located on lt1's? my light is always on i bought a new sensor but cant seem to find where it goes.

my car was shooting out the overflow as well, but i changed the cap and had a hose leak i patched with a connector. and it seems fine now. it was just a little drip but caused a similiar problem. your dumping water directly in the rad or in the overflow? i was using about a gallon every 2 days till i got it fixed.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Launching!

It is on the engine side of the radiator. You cant miss it. It the only thing with wires actually hooked to the radiator. If you need a better picture go to shbox.com Rob has some great diagrams. Also while you have it out to fix it take a q-tip and clean inside the little port that goes into the radiator, it can build up crap in there.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

done that too, still everytime i get on it pukes like crazy..i was thinking it was a pinhole in a head gasket, cause if there were combustion in the coloant it would over pressurize..i think?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

no wonder i could not find it, i think the parts store sold me a temperature sensor and not the low coolant sensor. ive been looking everywhere for the thing. its a brass threaded thing. smaller than a spark plug. im guessing its the one for plugging into the head. i was skeptical when they gave it to me, i specified low coolant, but oh well. guess i gotta buy one or clean this one and have a spare temp sensor i hope. thanks for the link.

have you flushed the system recently? or do you see water coming from anywhere else? when my last hose blew, it was from some bulbous looking adapter i guess where one hose is wide going to a thin hose to the water pump, the line was clogged with crud, corrosion and possible stop leak from before i replaced my radiator. i wonder if you have something similiar.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Had a similar problem a few months ago... had three connections for hoses that were lose. Couldn't find the problem until I did a pressure test. Every pump, I could hear a little hiss, and finally saw a little spray at a connection. Put a different clamp on it, and found another leak.. and another. lol.

Quick Reply: coolant headaches